Just for Men
You are not alone with this unplanned pregnancy. She needs you to be there to support her.
What to Do
- Talk with her and listen to her. Keep the lines of communication open between the two of you at all times. Do NOT close yourself off emotionally because this situation involves more than just you.
- Be there for her. She needs you now more than ever before.
- Talk with the people who care. In addition to keeping the lines of communication open between the two of you, it’s important to discuss the situation with parents and others who’ll be directly affected. Keeping this a secret will only add to the stress – yours and hers.
- Educate yourself. Collect information and seek advice from people you trust.
- Be honest with her and yourself. Own and share at all times how you feel. You’ll be surprised at how much it will help her to know that you share the same concerns. You’ll be surprised at what you learn about yourself. And, you’ll be proud that you’re standing tall together.
What Not to Do
- Don’t run from your responsibilities. The more you try to avoid the situation, the harder things will get for the three of you. Now. And in the future.
- Don’t pressure her to do what you want. You both need to work together at all times. You’re a team.
- Don’t stop communicating with her. Express your feelings and add your input whenever it’s needed.
An unplanned pregnancy can be overwhelming, but you will find information, care and support she needs at Care Net Pregnancy Center of Central Texas. Get answers to all of your questions about pregnancy, abortion and other options and request an appointment to talk through your personal situation with a peer counselor and get help through our free, confidential medical services.